A Sensory-Friendly Mass requires three main criteria: a welcoming, stigma-free environment; an informed community; and a few special accommodations to help reduce instances of over-stimulation. CLICK HERE for a full list of the suggested accommodations to make Mass more sensory-friendly.
Mass Tool Kit Materials:
Visual aids for families and individuals to assist in attending or preparing to attend Mass. These are free printable materials to make available to families in your parish.
- Guide to Prepare to Go to Mass – Parents/guardians can use this guide to assist in the transition to attending Mass and/or each week to prepare for leaving the home to go to Mass.
- My Parish Mass Template – Use pictures of your Church, parish priests and Liturgy for this Mass booklet.
- Going to Mass Visual Story – A social story about Mass created by the Diocese of Newark.
- Going to Mass Sensory Book – A social story about Mass created by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
- Mass Visual Schedule for Advent – Step by step parts of the Mass during Advent created by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
- Mass Visual Schedule for Ordinary Time & Easter – Step by step parts of the Mass during Ordinary Time and Easter created by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
- Mass Visual Schedule for Lent – Step by step parts of the Mass during Lent created by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
- Mass Menu / Visual Schedule – Parts of the Mass in pictures, Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
Mass Tool Kit Materials for Purchase:
Other visual aids and child friendly missals that can be purchased:
- My Picture Missal Flip Book – These picture oriented flip books, created by Loyola Press, walk children through the parts of the Mass and provide interactive cues for actions and gestures. They are available for purchase and also offered in Spanish.
- Going to Mass Social Story – This Social Story, created by Creative Learning 4 Kidz, is downloadable for purchase. It addresses things you might do at Mass and how to behave during Mass. This book also comes with a set of 12 Picture Icons. These are a great visual aid for children.
- My First Interactive Mass Book – This sturdy, interactive board book will help Catholics teach their children about the mysteries of God’s love in the Mass, the order of the Mass and prayers to follow along with.
- Guide to the Mass for Visual Learners – Originally designed by faithCatholic as a tool to support participation in the Mass for persons with autism spectrum disorder, it has also been used in faith formation and Mass-goers of all ages.
Manipulatives to assist in Mass preparation and attendance:
Manipulatives are tactile items that can be used as a tangible focus. Below is a list of some Catholic learning manipulatives that are interactive yet still focus on the faith.
- The Other Mother Teresa – A mom and special ed teacher created the mini-rosary pop-it and other religious fidgets as well as reward punch cards and other motivational religious manipulatives.
- My Quiet Mass Toys – A set of five plush manipulatives, each depicting an item from Catholic liturgy or devotion. Toys are illustrated on both sides. Set includes monstrance, host, chalice, Lectionary/Roman Missal and rosary. Items match illustrations from Plush Mass Book, also for sale.
- Chews Life – a mama owned and run business that creates beautiful, practical rosaries and other devotional aids that foster a love for Our Lord and His Mother.
- Shining Light Dolls – Shining Light Dolls’ award-winning Catholic books, toys and more are the fun and easy way to grow a strong, lifelong relationship with Jesus and His Saints. There are plush items as well as smaller vinyl saint dolls that are nearly unbreakable.
The Catholic Company
- Children’s Mass Kit: Children will learn, celebrate, and remember how Jesus celebrated the first Mass at the Last Supper with this colorful pop-out Mass kit.
- My Little Church Magnet Playset: My Little Church features fully illustrated magnets that can be arranged on the trifold magnet book. An engaging activity that forms little hearts and minds in the Catholic faith.
- My Pop-Out Mass Activity Set: Unfold, assemble and learn by interacting with the pieces on the Mass table. Colorful pieces include the chalice, Eucharist Bread, incense jar and pillar candles to name a few.
- My Mass Kit: 12-piece set includes plush replicas of items used by the celebrant: Crucifix, Chalice, Thurible, Finger Bowl, 2 Cruets, 2 Candles, Paten (cotton/ polyester blend), Corporal & Purificator (cotton cloth) and play Hosts (foam). This child version of the celebration of Mass comes complete with a colorful 24-page illustrated spiral booklet and carrying case with shoulder strap and name tag.
- Silicon Rosaries: Cotton string and food-grade silicone are used to create a rosary that is strong and durable – the perfect combination for a rosary that your child will want to take with them everywhere they go.
- The Mass Window Chart: The Mass Window Chart helps children grow in their Catholic faith as they move through easy-to-read charts, closing each window as they learn.
- Forgiveness Board: This Forgiveness Board helps children learn to ask for forgiveness and to give forgiveness. This wipe-off board allows kids to actively work on forgiveness. Includes dry-erase pen.